wMillion Poems

Copyright Jordan Davis.



wArchives:


-- HOME --



wPlig Bong

(* = pinged in last 12 hrs)



wPeaceful Acres Home for Resting Blogs

Dale Smith
David Cameron
Franklin Bruno
James Meetze
John Latta
Julia Mayhew
Keith Harris
Marianne Shaneen
Sarah Rehmer
Wyatt Bonikowski





This page is powered by Blogger. Why isn't yours?
wTuesday, October 04, 2005


1749

STATS

I'm concerned.

I notice that someone in California
Has been looking at something I wrote
About once a day since I wrote it
A little more than a month ago.

Someone at a school in California
Where I know some people --
Teachers, administrators, students --
Has been looking at a note I wrote
In a bad mood
About the social formations of poets.

It is not a pretty note.

Someone I know, but I know at least
Three people there, is looking
Again and again at this note
That I wrote to explain to myself
Why repulsive behavior
Is tolerated by groups
Of otherwise admirable people.

The note doesn't explain anything.

The note, which as I say
Is not a pretty note,
Identifies the need for groups
(I call them cliques)
To absorb and tolerate what I call
Pantsleg pissing and being a droning drag.

In my not very nice note
I point out -- it was not very inspired of me --
That men and women express hostility differently.

At that point I don't think
I'd ever actually seen a poet
Piss on anybody's pantsleg.

All the same, I imagine that characterization,
If someone else had made it
About some unknown person,
I imagine I would feel abashed
And search my memory for some hostile
Territory-marking behavior of my own.

My point in this note
Was that this group agreement
To condone bad behavior
Is somehow connected to the neglect of poetry --

A non-sequitur at best;
Anyone who's been to prep school
Or worked at a financial company
Would have to chuckle --

Anyone who's read the beats
Or the language poets --

Rene Ricard or Patti Smith --

Groups are elective families,
They form and break like families --

It takes a lot of bad behavior
To push a group past what it can stand
And that is in fact a good quality.

Depression and rage, though contagious,
Cry out for treatment, not quarantine.

I'm glad I live in New York
Where I can always have enough distance
Anonymity independence what.

I know all about depression and rage
So I have those to fall back on.

I can check my stats and see who's reading.

Thank you and no thanks
On the same bookshelf.

Who wouldn't want to be part of a group;
Or rather, what does love feel like.


posted by Jordan #